Reading has really tapered off for me since school began. Between writing here -- which truly gives me a lot of pleasure, fretting about the state of the world -- which gives me no pleasure at all but is inevitable, lots of outside commitments, knitting, putting up the gobs of produce that came out of the community garden, cooking regular meals ... well, reading has gotten relegated to just the few minutes between when I crawl into bed and my eyes slam shut.I have this stack of books though. It never seems to shrink much. From the public library:
- The Open Road: The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama by Pico Iyer
- The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba
- Silk Road: A Novel of Eighth Century China
A recent acquisition from a used book sale:
- the first three books of the Tuesday Next series by Jasper Fforde
And then there is the brand new book, Nation, by my favorite author, British satirist, Terry Pratchett.
I have also been enjoying two books that might fall into the reference or coffee table book category:
- Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid
- Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match by Susan Briscoe (Just what I need: another craft!)
Dear readers, what would you do?





7 comments:
I turnon the TV and watch football for a while and then read for a while before I fell asleep.
So what are you reading these days, Dr. Monkey?
Read Nation so I don't have to keep quiet about it anymore.
I recently read The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. It is depressing, to be sure, but is one of the best written books I've ever read. He has Orwell's voice.......
The Road is good, though quite dark. Your picture above suggests you need some Japanese suggestions. The Izu Dancer by ?? is a good (sweet, but not cloying) novella. The Ark by Kobo Abe, or I am a Cat by Natsume Soseki.
I have I Am A Cat somewhere ...
I always appreciate your suggestions.
Post a Comment