I have no way of figuring this out, but I suspect in my entire lifetime -- from the day I was born 49 years ago up until today -- the total cost of my wardrobe has not totaled $150,000. The most costly garment I ever purchased for myself may have been around $150; that was a long time ago when I was still attempting to dress like a grown up. The most costly garment I purchased in the last few years was at an art fair -- a $60 skirt made from a vintage tablecloth. Buying it felt incredibly extravagant. And you know what? Most of the clothes that I wear eventually get donated to charity. (It's actually a great cycle: I buy it at the thrift store for a few bucks. I wear it for a while. Then I give it back to the thrift store.)
Thursday, October 23, 2008
My Wardrobe
I have no way of figuring this out, but I suspect in my entire lifetime -- from the day I was born 49 years ago up until today -- the total cost of my wardrobe has not totaled $150,000. The most costly garment I ever purchased for myself may have been around $150; that was a long time ago when I was still attempting to dress like a grown up. The most costly garment I purchased in the last few years was at an art fair -- a $60 skirt made from a vintage tablecloth. Buying it felt incredibly extravagant. And you know what? Most of the clothes that I wear eventually get donated to charity. (It's actually a great cycle: I buy it at the thrift store for a few bucks. I wear it for a while. Then I give it back to the thrift store.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
Well, here we are again, being quite the dopplegangers. I do the same thing with clothing. I think I would become incapacitated if I attempted to buy something like a $200 blouse. I wouldn't be able to reach in to my purse for the Gold Card.
I am thinking of dropping a few bucks tonight at Sierra Trading Post. Since the Savers down the street closed last year, I have been shopping on line more. It costs more, but I shop less.
Suzy, Savers is over by me now. It is the best thing that ever happened to my wardrobe! (It's behind West Towne).
My first wedding dress cost under $200 and my second one was a flowered sundress from J. Crew which cost, I think, $70.
Beyond that, with the exception of winter coats, I can't think of anything very extravagant I've ever bought. Then again, I need to go on Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, cause I am really deficient in the dressing myself area.
I like that dress you have photographed though.. That is cute.. But again my warddrobe I have had for ages. I am just renewing it to be honest with you...
c'mon suzy -- everybody goes out and buys a $4000 shoes and $750 scarf when they get down and out......
and now the GOP spinmeisters are out defending it
ugh
What a lot of sock monkeys! Spending so much on clothing is incomprehensible to me.
Jan -- I feel bad about all the sock monkeys that had to die to make this dress, but you know what? I'm a maaaverick and back in Wasilla -- the REAL America -- we don't worry about a bunch of panty-waisted sock monkeys.
Distributor Cap -- Whenever I'm down in the dumps I get a new hat. And now you say, "Oh, so THAT'S where you get them." Hahaha.
Tweety -- I think that dress is hilarious. It's nice to buy new clothes, but most of us don't renew our wardrobes by dropping $150,000 at Niemann-Marcus!
You know what my favorite store is for new clothes? Don't laugh. Gander Mountain! I can actually find jeans that fit me there.
Hey! That's my dress!
Post a Comment