Thursday, October 02, 2008

One more thing ...

This constant barrage of "Maverick, Maverick, Maverick, Maverick" reminds me of a coloring book that kicked around my house when I was a little girl. It was The John Birch Society Coloring Book (not approved by the John Birch Society.) I read it a lot -- once I even colored in it, a picture of a witch burning at the stake, but someone put a stop to that -- and I had no idea what any of the captions meant or what the John Birch Society even was. But I pretty much memorized that book, and remember most of it to this day.

So, there was a double page spread of a row of men in suits, wearing hats, carrying briefcases. The first one is saying, "I think for myself." The second one, "So do I." The third one, "Me too." The fourth one, "Ditto." and so on.

The thing is, if you have multiple people all claiming to be mavericks, don't they kind of cancel each other out?

10 comments:

Ed said...

I'm a maverick, just like everyone else!

Suzy said...

Me too.

QuakerDave said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk6ZcYyTydk

No, he is not.

Suzy said...

Bingo. That was a good moment in the debate last night.

Anonymous said...

McCain was a POW too.

Suzy said...

Really, Dr. Monk? I didn't know that. How many houses do you own, btw?

Mark said...

What about James Garner as Brett Maverick? Roll theme: "Who is the tall dark stranger there? Maverick is his name...." I think he may be the only Maverick I can recognize to take seriously.

Suzy said...

Mark, here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrsDT02OcE

Me, I always liked Gunsmoke.

poodledoc said...

All mavericks are equal, but some mavericks are more equal than others.

Anonymous said...

Team of mavericks? Yes, they're the perfect example of conforming as nonconformists. Maddening.