Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Parenting Issues

12-year old Sparkly Seacow is learning a hard lesson this week. She is somewhat scattered and frequently loses things -- jackets, water bottles, her lunchbox ... It drives me a little nuts.

She is in a play right now, and rehearsals take place at a public library. On Friday she left her iPod in the rehearsal space. When she went to rehearsal again on Monday, it was gone. She is very sad. I am sad for her, but I'm also aggravated. For one thing, she didn't mention that she had forgotten her iPod there until Saturday afternoon. Had I known earlier, I would gladly have taken her over there first thing Saturday morning to look for it. For another, I question the wisdom of taking her iPod with her, especially if she's not carrying any sort of a backpack or purse to keep it in.

She checked the lost-and-found at the library yesterday. Today she took a poster that she had made to put up, but then she didn't put it up anywhere. She says she'll do it tomorrow.

Of course, I think like an adult, while she thinks like a 12-year old. She probably needs some help to deal with this, and I have to bite my tongue not to lecture too much. It is very frustrating all the way around.

It's a tough lesson, but maybe this will be the one that sticks. She saved up to buy the iPod with her own money, and there is no way that we can afford to replace it (nor would we,) so she's just going to have to save up again. Of course, there is always the chance that it will turn up. Fingers crossed.

11 comments:

Douglas E Powell said...

Just searching blog sites for folk music related stuff and sharing some of my music.

Enjoy.

Douglas E Powell

Fran said...

This is so much like our 12 y.o. - very scattered and so forth. I worry that this could happen.

And we - like you- are in no position to replace.

Sending good "it will turn up" thoughts and so much more.

poodledoc said...

Yes, coats, scarves, mittens, hats.....gone. IPod goes through the washing machine because it is forgotten in a pocket. It still worked. For a while. Maybe forgetfulness is just part of adolescence. So is it the hard lesson and saving up or is it parent(s) buying a new one. Which I can't afford, either. Hope it turns up.

tweetey30 said...

I remember those days where I knew where nothing was.. It will pass in time but I understand your fustration...

Anonymous said...

Kids. With all their stuff, when will they learn? Dag nabbit.

QuakerDave said...

It's that whole frontal lobe thing, dang it.

Suzy said...

Oh my gosh, 2 weeks ago the crisis was that she left a chocolate bar in her jeans pocket, and it melted in the dryer on her favorite tops. Mom to the rescue ... I hate to see my kid suffer -- despite everything that Jim Fay says in Discipline With Love and Logic.

I know, I need to just visualize the iPod being turned in to the library.

Thanks, you all.

Unknown said...

On Sunday we won't have a twelve year old anymore. Not bad except that he'll officially be a teenager. That'll make 2 in the collection.

Jan said...

Suzy, you are being a strong and loving parent. Natural consequences are the best way to cope with kids. Good luck.

Suzy said...

Mathman -- Congrats on the milestone! Grace is my youngest, so her 13th birthday in February will be bittersweet. Parenting -- it's definitely not for the fainthearted.

On a different note, this comment came in while I was watching a segment of last night's Nova program online, a program about musician Mark Everett and his father Hugh Everett, who is an icon and a cult figure in modern physics because of his theory of parallel universes (or "the trouserlegs of time" as my favorite author Terry Pratchett calls it.) Anyway, as I clicked on the window to get my blog up, the picture that came up momentarily confused me because it reminds me so much of your avatar. Do you purposely cultivate the iconic physicist look, or is it just an accident? Click on the link if you want to see it.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/manyworlds/program.html

Peace.
Suzy

Unknown said...

I see what you mean about my avatar. I put the spec up because I just got them the Saturday before school started. I also cut my hair over the summer - I had a ponytail. So it's a newish look, again.