"Somebody said to me that he wished we could just rewind the 21st century and just eliminate the Bush-Cheney administration, with all their mistakes and misjudgments," she said to cheers. "People are ready for leaders who understand it is our votes who put them in power, our tax dollars that pay the bills."Excuse me, but isn't this the same person who up to a month ago was supporting the war, at least out of one side of her mouth? Has she ever done a mea culpa and said she regrets her war vote? Does she not understand that she and her cowardly and rich colleagues have played a significant role in the last 6 years that we wish we could rewind? When they could have been thorns in this administration's side, instead they have acquiesced. Like neurotic dogs, most of them have simply gone belly up and peed on themselves at the feet of Bush, Cheney, and Rove. Some, like Lieberman, went over to the Dark Side, and Hilary forever straddles the fence. Yuck.
Maybe I will have to eat my words, but I cannot support the duplicitous Sen. Clinton for president.
And speaking of leaders "who understand it is our votes that put them in power", what about impeachment? I got a form letter email from Tammy Baldwin in response to my message from a few days ago: "Thank you very much for taking the time to write to me. Your opinion is important to me blah blah blah woof woof woof." My friend and fellow blogger Poodle Doc got the same response and emailed me,
"She doesn't get that I (and others) want IMPEACHMENT not OVERSIGHT. Oversight is watching a crime, impeachment is prosecuting."Bingo! That is exactly what is so frustrating right now. They're going to pretend that watching BushCo is the same as doing something. The crimes have already been committed. When you see that someone has robbed the convenience store, do you watch them to make sure they don't do it again? Or do you arrest them and prosecute?
And our supposed representatives are so inaccessible to us. You can email or call until you're blue in the face, but you know that the messages aren't even really getting to them, only to their staff. I see Tammy shopping in our neighborhood grocery store once or twice a year, when Congress is in recess. I'm usually respectful of her right to be an ordinary person, but next time I think I will respectfully collar her.
Sheesh.





2 comments:
Wow Luminiferous,
My response to "the events" of the last six years was to bravely bury my head in the sand. Clearly, you follow and digest a lot of information. I'm so grateful that you break it down for readers like me who are just re-emerging like munchkins after the tornado. This is a hefty post.
yes, I see Tammy in the same market, during congressional recess and I, like you, have always given a respect for her privacy. Now, if I see her perusing the organic veggies again, I will respectfully engage her in conversation. I think I will invite her to come to our Quaker Meeting for a potluck to answer some questions (and enjoy the chili)!
I recall "collaring" Bob Kastenmeier, a Democrat who at one time held Tammy's 2nd district seat, at a Labor Day event and challenging him on his tepid response to Raygun's Contra war in Nicaragua. He pulled himself up to his full 6 foot 5 inches and let me know exactly what he was thinking. I didn't agree with him and said so, but thanked him for talking with me. He was at least accessible........
Post a Comment