Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Grumpy Librarian


While weeding the fiction section of the library today I came upon a book written by someone I knew: Keys For Signe, written by Marion Fuller Archer and published in 1965! Marion and her husband Leonard were long-time members of the Madison Monthly Meeting. They were both librarians. Leonard exuded Old World grace, while Marion always had a Puckish twinkle about her. As the convener of our meeting's library committee, she would periodically stand up after meeting for worship, and with a completely deadpan demeanor, identify herself as "the grumpy librarian" before giving a forthright scolding about overdue books checked out from the meetinghouse library. When I first began attending Quaker meeting I was a little intimidated by her (as well I should be -- I am a terrible offender when it comes to overdue library books.) Over time, I became aware of what a lovely person she was.

She was the consummate librarian. They don't make them like her anymore (one reason that I am so frustrated with the master's program that I'm in.) I had no idea that she was also an author. I showed the book to the librarian who is mentoring me, and then I got another surprise. He said, "Oh, she's the founder of the Golden Archer Award." Unlike other awards given for children's literature -- like the Newbery and Caldecott Awards -- which are selected by committees of adults, the Golden Archer Award, and its picture book counterpart, the Little Archer, is given each year to a book that is selected by schoolchildren all across Wisconsin. That's a pretty special kind of recognition.

Marion Archer died last year. Her husband preceded her in death by several years. I am sad that I didn't know them better. I feel as if I found a little buried treasure today.

9 comments:

poodledoc said...

Thanks for this post. I didn't ever really connect with them, but wish I had. This is nice to know.

Suzy said...

I felt a little more connected after today.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this memory. Sometimes I become aware that almost everything in someone's house brims over with memories which are invisible to others. I know what you mean about "they don't make 'em like they used to" -- present company excepted.

Anonymous said...

PS: Your guard dog tried to eat one of my crayons.

Suzy said...

Uh-oh. I hope it doesn't upset her digestive system. 'Nuff said.

Terry said...

Suzy, I remember that book! I wonder if the public library has it. I want to read it again.

I loved your library conversation series below (as with all your posts, of course). I am a fan. Please write down as many of these as you can and want to.

Part of the reason I love them so much is that they take me back to my school library days. How I loved the library. I'm not sure how I ended up a college librarian and not a children's librarian.. maybe a deep down belief that the definition of paid work is anything you don't love? Bummer. (I'm laughing now.)

Thanks for the post.

Sminthia said...

I already placed a hold on it, but there are a couple more of Marion's books available.

Suzy said...

I have the copy that I wrote about. I wonder if her books are in the meetinghouse library. I'll be checking on Sunday!

Suzy said...

Terry, MY school librarian was crabby as all get out. But I still love love love libraries.(The art room was where I would have spent all my time if I could, with wonderful Mrs. Lautz.)