Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pickles!

This Pickles?
No, silly ...
These pickles!
This is the first time I've made pickles. For some reason the jars are not sealing so they'll have to be refrigerator pickles. Should be good though: dill, onions, lots of garlic. Mmmmm. You can never have too much garlic.

The recipe comes from the Mennonite cookbook Eating More With Less, via my friend and fellow gardener Donna. (I met a woman last year who referred to herself as a "cookbook Mennonite." When I asked for clarification, she explained that there are people whose first experience with Mennonites -- one of the historic peace churches -- comes from the Eating More With Less cookbook. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. I also recommend the companion book Living More With Less.)

I belatedly bought a share in a communal garden when two of the gardeners had to leave town suddenly. Unlike a CSA, where you buy a share and get produce delivered each week, the shareholders in this garden do all the work. I'm coming in at the tail end, for the harvest. Lucky me!

The farm where the garden is located belongs to my friends John, Robin, and Susan. It is exceedingly lovely. I'll try to get some pictures in the coming weeks.

So far we have partaken in potatoes, tomatoes, sweet onions, sweet red peppers, corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes ... Later come the melons, squash, storage onions, garlic, basil, carrots, green beans, and did I mention tomatoes? I have a date with Poodle Doc to can the first bunch of tomatoes tomorrow. Last year's tomatoes sustained us until mid-March.

8 comments:

Fran said...

It all sounds so yummy!

I love pickles.

The ones like you made, not like that woman in the photo!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm. Non-narcotic pickles! Yum!

I admit, I tried to make them once, but they were about as good as Aunt Bee's.

I just know those other people I live with were throwing them away when I wasn't looking.

I don't blame them.

Suzy said...

Well, the jury will be out on these ones for about 2 weeks. We'll see.

Unknown said...

I hope you pickles come out good. Dcup is correct her pickles were similar to the one's Aunt B made that time on the Andy Griffith Show.

On the other hand, our garden has only produced on 5 edible cucumbers since that year. For some reason our soil is not good for them.

Suzy said...

To be perfectly honest, I have only a pale green thumb. When I've had a garden of my own, the take has been spotty (in more ways than one.) This garden is nice because the other people actually KNOW something. BTW, I found out that I got the last of the good cucumbers. They're done.

I don't remember that episode of Andy Griffith. I'll have to look for it on YouTube.

Ed said...

I'm looking forward to those pickles. I'm sure that they will be most bodaciously awesome.

Distributorcap said...

i love pickles - especially pickled tomatoes (hint hint)

Suzy said...

DCap -- I was JUST thinking about pickled tomatoes. Now WHY would that be?

Dilly beans -- that will be my next foray into pickling. I just like the sound of it: Dilly Beans.