Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Watching the Earth Move

There have been a couple of events in my adult life that were of such global significance that they stand out in my memory. One was the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany. The other was the end of South African apartheid and the release of Nelson Mandela. What they had in common was that they were things that were so institutionalized it seemed impossible that they would change in my lifetime.

Tonight I watched Barack Obama's 30 minute commercial and became acutely aware that we are on the verge of another of those events. I have not been a Rah Rah Barack supporter, but as the election approaches it takes my breath away to think that we may elect a black president. I think about what that means to the students I teach, for example. And I thought I would never see it in my lifetime.

I may go and vote tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You damn well better vote. Sorry for my langauge.

Suzy said...

Oh God, OF COURSE I'm going to vote. At least once! No, the question is, should I vote early or on election day? There is a certain charm to going to my neighborhood polling place and chatting with the older people who have worked this polling place for as long as I've voted there (16+ years.)

Sorghum Crow said...

Me too. I saw the show afterwards on YouTube. It made me feel more hopeful than I have in a while.

Anonymous said...

I watched the 1/2 hour program and was struck by the significance of this time in history, too.

Jan said...

I didn't get to see the show, but maybe I should look on You Tube, as SC writes. Hope you voted. I like this early voting, and I voted on Wed.