I've been following the news about the possible re-opening of the investigation into the 1970 Kent State shootings with interest. One more event that seared itself into my impressionable childhood brain.
A number of years ago the very fine Irish folk singer Christy Moore recorded a moving song about one of the shooting victims, Sandy Schuer, called "Hey Sandy." I can't find a download of it to post here, but you can read the lyrics. I'm sure the recording is still available and I encourage you to find it.
Thursday, May 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Hi LE
Could you possibly provide a handy link or two about this re-investigation of the Kent State murders? Thanks.
Yup. I linked to it from my post now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0c3c_epCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qypb3JIZN4
A couple of very fine Christy Moore videos.
We got to see Christy perform a number of years ago in Philly at a place called the Cherry tree Folk Music Co-op on the Penn campus. The Troubles were still in full murderous swing, and I swear the place us full of guys in long black leather coats looking very Northern Irish Aid...
But man, could that guy sing.
Thanks, David!
I've never had the pleasure of seeing Christy live. Planxty was my first exposure to Irish music (other that The Irish Rovers -- gag me with a bodhrain) and their albums are still among my favorites. My daughter is nuts for Gaelic Storm, but I see them as being in the Irish Rovers class. Too many songs celebrating drinking and living with your blessed mother until you're 40 -- the stereotypical Irish thing. Me, I go for the unrequited loves, the duplicitous blacksmiths and the dark eyed sailors! Not to mention the revolutionaries.
Post a Comment