Monday, May 21, 2007

Just askin' ...

I can't help but notice a hierarchy of coolness in the lefty blogging world. It bugs me sometimes, but it seems to be a natural human tendency, and I don't worry about it a whole lot. I've never been one of the cool people, I never will, and to paraphrase my hero Howard Zinn "what's wrong with being number two?"

But this is really getting my undies into a bundle, and I need to vent. Why is it, on so many blogs in the upper echelon of lefty coolness, that when they link to a bookseller it is almost always Amazon? Amazon donates primarily to Republicans! Yes, to
those Republicans -- not the nicey- nice, touchy-feely, pro-choice, anti-war, cuddly bunny Republicans. The ones who wish they could diddle pages (not the kind you get from Amazon) and demonize homosexuals. The ones who cozy up to the Christian Right.

What gives? Do they not know? Do they think there aren't viable alternatives? Do they not care?

Today I am venting in particular about
Crooks and Liars. But This Modern World and Bob Harris link to Amazon as well, on a regular basis.

Crooks and Liars also has an advertisement for Marriott Hotels on their site. Apparently you can get a special "Crooks and Liars" discount. The problem is, according to The Hightower Lowdown, that Marriott International made total political contributions of $230,000 in 2006, 82% of which went to support the very crooks and liars that that site skewers!

I have a problem with that. A big problem. I believe that their high visibility in the progressive blogosphere makes it important -- no, imperative -- that they put their money (and ours) where their mouth is. No exceptions. They do not need to advertise for companies whose policies are ruining our country (not to mention Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Colombia ...)

If you are reading this, and you have personal connections with any of the aforementioned blogs, please feel free to pass along my concerns. Thank you.

(I want to quote Ed, from the comments section:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote. When you buy Republican, you vote Republican. Where you do or don't spend your money probably has a greater impact than how you vote at the polls." Bingo! You have to vote with your wallet. And your feet. I probably will not be visiting those blogs so much anymore.)

11 comments:

Ed said...

Every dollar you spend is a vote. When you buy republican, you vote republican. Where you do or don't spend your money probably has a greater impact than how you vote at the polls.

Ed said...

And another thing...

I, for one, go out of my way to avoid giving money to republican-supporting businesses, even if it means I pay a higher price for an item. In the long run, I feel we can't afford to shop for price alone. First, I try to buy locally. When I have to buy from a Mega-corp, I try to be sure they're the right (or should I say left?) Mega-corp.

poodledoc said...

Honest, gutsy post. Thanks. Liked Ed's comments, too.

Anonymous said...

Hey Suzy,
You opened my eyes. I just don't like Amazon because .... well, it seems unsightly in its hugeness. Irrational.

You and Ed have kind of cornered the rational take on it.

It might be interesting to make a badge that says "Amazon-free blog." What are the acceptable alternatives? Borders? Powell's?

Suzy said...

Powells, Barnes and Noble ... There are some other independents, I'll let you know.

Pam said...

Amen!!! I can't think of a thing to add.

poodledoc said...

Borders and Barnes and Noble (I know, I know, they are the evil empires) give money to the blue side of the coin. So, although I support independents, if you have to buy at a big place, these are way better than getting anything from Amazon....

thailandchani said...

I believe the act of commerce itself is done with bloody hands. Seriously... there is no way to avoid a lot of it because the bodies are always buried somewhere, no matter what the business might be.


Peace,

~Chani

Suzy said...

Borders actually does not make political contributions, and they are actively anti-union as well, though (as SOMEBODY lectured me last year at Harry Potter release night -- don't know who, I was in a fog at midnight) they are very supportive of gay rights. B&N gives to Dimocrats, don't know where they stand on unions. Powells is independent and actively pro-union, and their prices and service are both good.

QuakerDave said...

You set me straight on Powells, for which I will always be grateful. They get all The Agitator's book biz now.

Suzy said...

I feel like I keep harping on this issue, but it seems like such a basic thing that any of us can do. Powells has been a great resource, although I actually buy very few books these days. Yay for libraries!