Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kirsty MacColl - Don't Come the Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim

Kirsty MacColl put out some wonderful pop albums in the eighties and early nineties. The daughter of Scots folk legend Ewan MacColl, she inherited his songwriting talent, but was quoted as saying "I hate fucking folk music." Tragically, she was run over and killed by a speedboat while snorkling in Mexico a few years ago. Her family is still pursuing a just settlement in the case. But here she is. (Sounds a lot like folk music, doesn't it?)

4 comments:

QuakerDave said...

"Tropical Brainstorm."

Best driving-with-the-sunroof-open summer CD ever!

Suzy said...

Dave, I should have known that you were familiar with her. Not too many other people I know are, however. I don't have that album. Must ... get ... it.

QuakerDave said...

It's the last of her work. The boating accident happened, I think, when she went vacationing after they had wrapped it up.

Such a loss.

But that CD is killer. Get it before the weather gets hot.

Suzy said...

You know what really stinks? (Besides the fact that she was killed?) The alleged driver of the boat is the owner/CEO of Costco stores -- which is the union-friendly alternative to MalWart and Target. Sounds like he was driving too fast in restricted waters, but was not prosecuted because he is one of the most wealthy and powerful businessmen in Mexico ... There's always something.