Monday, May 21, 2007

Irrelevant?



So, the White House thinks former president, elder statesmen, and Nobel Peace Prize winner Jimmy Carter is "increasingly irrelevant"? I think that Jimmy Carter has more relevancy, more intelligence, more human decency ... in one of his fingernail clippings than any of those shills in the White House. How dare they?

4 comments:

poodledoc said...

Couldn't agree more on your comments on Carter. However, I did hear on some "mainstream media" (NPR I think) that Carter was "re-framing" his remarks or something like that. Did he or is this just the spin machine at work?

Ed said...

Carter also was one of the ones who tried to hold Ralph Nader responsible for Bush "beating" Al Gore in 2000. In fact, at one point, he made a statement about Ralph Nader that sounded remarkably similar to the Bushies' statement about himself, simply because Nader had the audacity to run for president. He's done some very good things, but he still plays the party game sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Suzy,
I really respect Jimmy Carter so much, despite the fact that his upper lip does not move when he speaks, smiles of sneezes. I've read two of his books, one on his faith and one on age. He embodies so many traits that I hold dear: humility, cultivating peace through steadfast justice; tolerance -- even celebration of cultural differences; spirituality that drives one's work. I love what he has done for Habitat. His Christianity is based on deep, loving study of the Scriptures, and he keeps the Bible out of his politics.

I consider him an elder in the best sense of the word. Even if he is re-adjusting his take on his original comment, I'll give him room to spare. I think he knows what he is doing. I will really miss him when he's gone.

poodledoc said...

Well "spoken", Potato Prints......