
WASHINGTON - Folk singer and anti-war activist Joan Baez says she doesn't know why she was not allowed to perform for recovering soldiers recently at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as she planned. (Read more ...)This goes in the "What are they afraid of?" department. If they think they're doing the right thing, then what's the problem? They clearly know they are in the wrong. Sometimes I wish I believed in a Judgement Day. Absurd and outrageous.





5 comments:
I suspect a lot of that is complaints from the military types at Walter Reed. They hold some serious grudges. Jane Fonda and Joan Baez are both publicly pilloried on a fairly consistent basis.
Peace,
~Chani
I knew about Jane Fonda, and I guess I was naive to not realize that Joan Baez would fall into the same category. By "military types" I assume you mean the mucky-mucks, not so much the enlisted soldiers -- the ones who actually bear the scars of the wars, eh?
I read the article and agree with you. It seems to me that those who tend to hold grudges the longest are usually the ones who have made the most mistakes. Reverse psychology, I suppose.
Interesting post, as usual, LE. I had the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that Ms Fonda had "backed away" from her activism while Joan Baez has consistently sung and worked for justice.........but the Army is generally unable to make intelligent distinctions in general and about anti-war celebs in particular.......someone sent me a story last year which described how Denzel Washington, touring Walter Reed and the "barracks" set aside for relatives visiting their love ones in the hospital are "quartered". He wrote out a "large check onthe spot" for an undisclosed amount to improve the rather spartan "barracks". This wasn't publicized much if at all, that I'm aware of. As mentioned above, the military and government know they are way in the wrong, and they're keeping things quiet.....wouldn't want anyone to write song about it.....
Pam -- My favorite Ralph Waldo Emerson quote is "The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." It somehow seems to apply here.
Chuck -- Yeah, I think Joan Baez has been consistently and courageously working for peace and justice. While Jane Fonda was selling videotaped work-outs.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hope I look as healthy and vibrant as Joan does when I'm in my sixties. I saw her at Camp Casey and was blown away.
Post a Comment