Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Has anybody been impeached yet? I didn't think so.

It's been a busy week. On Monday night I went out to see a festival of plays by young (high school) playwrights, 5 well written and entertaining plays written by our daughter's classmates. (And our daughter was an assistant stage manager.) Each one was directed by a seasoned director and acted by theater students from the university. (One of the directors was someone I used to babysit, 35 years ago -- I feel old!) Thank heavens for creative and engaged young people.

In the wider world, I feel so discouraged about the lack of will in Congress to see that justice is served against this despotic administration. Our own Russ Feingold, who has taken a courageous stance more than once in the last 6 years, turns a deaf ear to the voices of his constituents and refuses to consider impeachment.

(from the Appleton [WI] Post-Crescent)

Feingold also told constituents he would not support Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich's resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney.

"Clearly he (Cheney) is not telling the truth, over and over in Iraq. There's got to be something in the general category of high crimes. I don't think it would be very good in terms of our ability to move this country in the right direction of health care and other issues, if we become consumed by impeachment procedures," Feingold said.


This just infuriates me! He acknowledges that he believes high crimes have been committed, but says he does not support doing anything about it! No, he thinks it's important to work on moving forward on more bills for the Commander Guy to spitefully veto. I realize that, because Feingold is not in the House, at this point his support for impeachment would be largely symbolic ... But he, like most of the other Democrats, is putting the good of the Democratic Party ahead of the good of we the people, and what's truly absurd is, it has been proven time and time again that the more progressive candidates win handily. The mainstream strategy is a recipe for failure. And fascism creeps closer ... and closer ... (Does Russ know that Gitmo orange is simply not his color?)

Oh yeah, and locally, the "progressive" school board voted on Monday night to stand by their decision to name the new elementary school after guerilla fighter, CIA toady, and alleged drug runner General Vang Pao. They were downright peevish about it, despite massive community outcry.

It all makes me want to talk like a pirate. Arrrrrrr!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Luminiferous,

You really break it down for us here. It's fascinating to see how power writes the laws of justice as a quill on moving water.

I trained in a public school where the kids and teachers and the principal knew that one of the teachers was incompetent and suffered from unmedicated mental illness, but no one did anything because he'd been there forever. He committed suicide halfway through my second year. We later found out that he'd been stealing money from the coffers of the ROTC at school.

Similarly, the director at my job three years ago was almost illiterate, was drinking on the job, and was embezzling money. The staff knew it, the board knew it, many of the members knew it. But, the board of trustees didn't want to get into it. They just let her term run out.

Is it in the nature of power? Wanting to preserve one's place in the structure?

I'm so grateful that you agitate in this way. It brings out the Emma Goldman in me. It makes me want to drink cold vinegar for breakfast. Tee hee.

thailandchani said...

I'm really disappointed that they chose to keep that name for the school. What kind of message does that send to kids?

Well.. we know what message it sends.

I'm so glad I'm moving to Thailand!


Peace,

~
Chani

poodledoc said...

Yes, Suzy, I can totally relate to your frustration. It all seems so.....grim. What will it take to get impeachment? Incredibly, though, I discovered the Dems "new" plan for impeachment. I posted it on my blog for the curious (shameless self-promotion)

But seriously, politicians I used to trust and admire, are wilting like a bunch of dandelions.

Someone told me yesterdday the Democrats know that impeachment is not the most important issue on the table. Huh? He felt the Dems had "other more important things they were working on.." I almost passed out on the spot.......like what more important things..aaarrrrgggghhhh.

Suzy said...

NOTHING is more important at this point than impeachment. IT is the ONLY way that other things will be allowed to happen ... like ending the war?