Sunday, May 06, 2007

Outlaw for a Day

I was driving home from Meeting going the back way on residential streets because my brake lights are malfunctioning (mal-what??) and saw my friend -- I'll call her "Terry" -- out doing yard work. "Terry" and I briefly became outlaws a year and a half ago on July 4. She is one of the most active activists I know, and she organized a party in her back yard, to create antiwar/anti Bush signs to put up around town. We painted a bunch of signs with pithy messages on them, and a few of us urban guerillas agreed to meet at about 11 p.m. on July 4th to place them prominently around town.

Giggling like naughty school girls, we made our first stop, at a darkened tennis court alongside a heavily traveled bypass. We got the sign up, and in about 2 seconds a patrol car pulled up. The officer looked like he was about 14 years old (and us, a handful of nearly middle aged women.) He said, "You want to take that down?" "OK," we squeaked.

I secretly wanted to go home. I'm not cut out for a life of crime! My intrepid companions wanted to have another go. And we did. We put up two signs at a bridge along another heavily traveled street. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, today "Terry" and I chatted a bit before I continued on my way, thinking about freeway blogging. And in a wonderful moment of synchronicity (oh how I love it) I got home and found this linked from Michael Moore's website. Here's the best part:

At a dinner honoring Pelosi Saturday evening, pro-impeachment activists slipped elegant placecards onto each place at the table. The cards read:

        Remember, We’re the Deciders.

Impeachment is on the table.

Investigate and Impeach Cheney and Bush!

Whoever came up with this idea of table-blogging is brilliant!

And all hail the freeway bloggers, who have more guts than I have!

5 comments:

poodledoc said...

Hi LE, Interesting post, as usual. You have inspired me to think of a life of criminal blogging. I have a bridge in mind over a very busy road. I like the idea of pointed humor. Let's definitely get a group together and do some more of this!! It beats cleaning house, I say! Seeing the table-blogging made me think of table-blogging Tammy Baldwin. Whaddya say? Are ya in???

QuakerDave said...

What law, EXACTLY, would your signs have violated?

Just askin'...

Suzy said...

David -- I think there is an ordinance against putting up signage on public property w/o a permit.
So ... Farmers' Market and Symphony banners from bridges are OK, because they've paid for a permit, but the tennis court was not. Maybe it was a bunch of hooey he was dishing out too. Admittedly, I was a chicken.

Chuck -- count me in. What do you have in mind (squawked the chicken)?

thailandchani said...

I love seeing the signs people put up ~ the renegade signs that are not associated with any group or movement.. but something someone just wants to say.

Freeway blogging. I'd never heard that one. :)

Pam said...

I have done the outlaw gig, too. And boy, oh boy, do I wish I could now!