
I've been grumbling for the last week about this peace rally I attended on Memorial Day. It was organized by Veterans for Peace -- a great organization, by the way. My grumblings go something like this: "I gave in to feelings of guilt to show up for this peace rally on my one day off, and it was mind-numbingly boring with a lot of self-congratulatory speakers (the same ones who are at every peace rally) telling us how long they've been involved with the peace movement, interspersed with the one folk singer who seems to donate her time to events such as this" and so on and so forth, in the same curmudgeonly vein.
But in light of the infighting and back-biting of the Left that has been written about in the wake of Cindy Sheehan's departure from the scene, all of a sudden that kind of whining sounds trivial and mean. I appreciate that people are trying to organize events and get people out. I would like to see more young people protesting, and I think to interest the 18-30 crowd they need to get music with more youth appeal at these rallies. And maybe food. And maybe not have every speaker lecture on the full history of their organization (interesting as it may be.) And maybe door prizes. And trained dogs doing tricks.
One thing I really enjoyed (and this is really the main reason I went) was hearing my city's oldest living veteran speak. Clarence Kailin is a veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade of the Spanish Civil War, and a longtime peace activist (and Communist.) I loved that he started his speech by saying, "I didn't want to come today, but my daughters dragged me out of the nursing home ..." and then made an appeal for impeachment and activism. He is a treasure to be cherished.
So I guess the question should not be, "Why can't these people get a clue and organize good peace rallies?" but "How can I help?"





9 comments:
Thanks, LE, you make a good point here.....I'll put in a word for more street theater, especially when humor is used to make a point....this can be very powerful, very effective. I could see organizing something with some of my musically talented friends (hint, hint).......it would be more fun than a energy-sucking peace rally...........
I know a few musicians who would probably be willing to donate their time and talent to an event. Unfortunately, many of them have done so quite a bit already and felt, at best, taken for granted, and at worst, taken advantage of. As a result, some of them are leery of such events. I believe it's critical to make peace rallies enjoyable for those who attend, despite the sobering subject. Food, music, street theater, humor - I think all these elements would make for a more energizing experience for both the organizers and the masses in attendance.
I wish they'd gotten a band like ... say, Tongue 'N' Groove! The Reptile Palace Orchestra? The Motor Primitives? Geez, I wish the Appliances SFB would re-form!
I didn't mean a band in the sense of getting on stage and doing sets. I meant musicians involved in streeth theater. I can understand musicians being leary of "traditional" progressive peace rallies. Can't blame them. I'm talking about a fusion of music and other kinds of art, on the street, making a statement with art, with theater instead of long boring speeches by the same long-winded individual people......
I'm the activist in my family, but it looks like I have a granddaughter who's ready to spring into action. We've already done some work relating to the environment and now, at almost fourteen, she is becoming politically motivated.
Love the photo!
I do think the infighting is the product of ego over cause, for people that see peace and activism as a way to promote themselves somehow. I recall the rifts over rallies in DC, the split between ANSWER and UFPJ...the ways that anti-war rallies turn into speakers for four hundred different causes by the end of the day.
I think its just the way it is, even hippies can hog the mike. I figure diversity is a strength, and for the most part am glad that people are out there no matter what. I just wish there were some unifying leaders, people that could really get us together and rally us in unison.
Nice to meet you, Suzy. Keep in touch!
Lily, nice to meet you too! Thanks for coming by. I'll be over to your place as soon as I'm home from work.
Pam, aren't those young activists just the best? I'm so proud of the things my kids do. My neighbor was telling me how a few days ago she saw my younger daughter in front of our house berating my older daughter for going to WalMart! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
Chuck, I always like the giant puppets at the big demos. There is something so playful about puppets, yet the fact they can also be effigies of the people being protested ... they are very powerful.
Ed, I know you've talked about how musicians that donate their time too much can get taken advantage of, and it makes sense. But I wish there was just some musical excitement to liven things up. Bread and Puppet Theater had a dynamite band.
And even singing along sometimes ... that can be really powerful.
I didn't mean to say that I, personally, would be unwilling to donate time, equipment, etcetera. I agree that some good music can make an event much more enjoyable and I like being able to contribute. However, I feel it's a syndrome of which event organizers should be aware.
Dang it! I wrote a fabulous and all-encompassing comment last night, and then my internet connection sneezed, and it disappeared. Seriously.
First, it is to great to see you back on your soapbox! I really liked reading the story of your audience with Tammy Baldwin. Some people may have asked how you cried in public; I would ask how people cannot weep over the daily violence committed to completely innocent victims in our name.
re: peace rallies.
I think it's easy to confuse adrenaline rush with political conviction. I dislike politics as entertainment. I've been to too many "peace" rallies that feel like frat parties. I would put the emphasis on truth and not so much on fun. The most powerful one I attended was totally silent. We did a walking meditation and then we just stood silently to witness.
Post a Comment