
So here's a question: If Dick Cheney plays tag, does he tag himself?
I did a Dick Cheney and tagged myself for the meme at Blue Gal's site. Why? Because I wanted to, that's why. And you're either for me or you're for the terrorists.
OK, so I'm naming three favorite books that others may not have heard of:
1) Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry; this book spoke to me. Wendell Berry has written numerous works of fiction about Port Williams, Kentucky. This one chronicles the life of Hannah Coulter, from when she is a pregnant young bride during WW2 to when she is an elderly woman. There are passages in this book that sing.
2) The Wizard of Loneliness by John Nichols (but not the journalist John Nichols that writes for The Progressive, etc. This John Nichols also wrote The Milagro Beanfield War.) This is a beautiful and funny coming-of-age story about a rather neglected, motherless boy who goes to live with relatives in Vermont when his father enlists and is shipped overseas during WW2. It was made into a dreadful movie about 15 years ago, so even if you saw the movie and hated it, please give the book a try.
3) The Summer Book by Tove Jansson; this author from Finland is best known for the children's "Moomintroll" series, which is delightful in its own right. The Summer Book is a novel about the relationship between a little girl and her grandmother one summer that they spend together in a cottage on an island in the gulf of Finland.
As always, if you order any of these books from Amazon I will never speak to you again.
Tag, everyone is "it"! What are your favorite books?





5 comments:
I love the Cheney thing and thanks for the linky love. Never heard of any of your books so I'll be looking for them. Thanks!
All of those books sound good. I'll have to check them out.
One of my favorites du jour is "Four Reigns" by Kukrit Pramoj. It is one of those books that "Sing", as you said.
Eat,Pray and Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
Many Lives by Kukrit Pramoj.
There are many more, of course. :)
Peace,
~Chani
Ooh, ooh, ooh ... I'd forgotten about that particular Amy Tan book, and I haven't read it yet! I LOVE The Hundred Secret Senses and The Bonesetter's Daughter.
I'm also a big Isabel Allende fan. Her memoir about her daughter, Paula, is breathtaking.
Imagining Argentina and Naming the Spirits: 2 amazing books.
How Green Was My Valley ...
Oh, there are just SO MANY good books. I can't stop naming them ...
Thanks, Chani.
Thanks BG.
You know how much I LOVE the Harry Potter series, and I noticed that Amazon has incredible deals but I bought them either at Star Books or the Evil Empire......
I promise to leave some serious choices tomorrow when I'm not so tired an punchy......
J.K. Rowlings doesn't hold even a birthday candle to Terry Pratchett!
Vimes/Ironfoundersson 2008; the winning ticket!
Post a Comment