Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fidelity: Investing in Genocide

I admit, I have been guilty of pleading "compassion fatigue" and letting others carry the torch for Darfur. (One of those others is Quaker Dave, whose blogs The Quaker Agitator and Daily Darfur are excellent places to become educated. So please visit ... )

It's bad enough that profit is Fidelity's bottom line, but using strong-arm tactics on media outlets (and them capitulating) is ... well, par for the course in our brave new world. Unfortunately. And unconscionable nevertheless.

6 comments:

poodledoc said...

It breaks my heart...............

QuakerDave said...

Suzy: As always, you are da bomb.

Poodledoc: As someone once said, "Don't mourn. Organize."

Suzy said...

I was just thinking ... I tend not to think of myself as having investments, because personally I don't ... meaning that I have not contacted a stockbroker, etc. etc. But ... I have retirement funds which are invested I don't even know where all. So, for me a good starting point is doing some research into that, and bringing pressure to bear on the state retirement account to invest sustainably and not invest in genocide. Finally ... something I can do which feels tangible.

thailandchani said...

I'm not a bit surprised by the fact that Fidelity is invests in genocide.. and probably child labor and an assortment of other disgusting practices.

Do any of them have clean hands? I'm thinking not.


Peace,

~Chani

Pam said...

It is heart breaking and disgusting. Money over life and I'm thinking Chani is probably right...not too many clean hands out there.

poodledoc said...

Yes, Quaker Dave, I organize. Then I mourn. Then I organize. Then I mourn. And on and on it goes. This may be a cycle in my life. I'm not sure. I appreciate your comment, however.