Wednesday, June 20, 2007

2 political thangs

1. I got a fund raising appeal tonight from the national Democratic party. I've noticed that whenever I get these calls, my husband starts skulking around; he thinks it's funny to hear how it will go. First of all, the caller told me that she was not asking for money, and then shortly thereafter asked for my "support." Huh? I spent at least 10 minutes patiently explaining why I might give political donations to individual candidates, but not to the national party. The caller would interrupt to say, "Ma'am, I hear what you are saying, but the Democrats are the party that is working to end the war in Iraq." I gave my opinion on that (you don't end the war by giving the White House all the funding they've demanded with no time line for pulling out the troops.) Over and over I told her that I MIGHT consider making a donation when Pelosi starts talking impeachment. Wow, she was a tenacious young woman. She argued with me a long time, which is an interesting thing to do when she called asking me for money! Either she finally wore out or she got what I was saying. Probably the former.

2. A few weeks ago I wrote about going to Tammy Baldwin's listening session. Today I got a letter from Tammy. I was expecting the usual "Your opinion matters to me, bow wow woof woof ..." and there was that, but Tammy herself had filled in my first name, signed it, and written a note on the bottom: "Thank you for your strong comments on impeachment." Nice. Now what's she going to do about it? (Maybe I can give her a call and ask, now that we're pen pals.)

4 comments:

thailandchani said...

I've always thought Tammy is kind of a "special one".


Peace,

~Chani

Suzy said...

Tammy is very human. I'd like to see her take more of a progressive leadership role. She could do it. Her seat is fairly safe.

QuakerDave said...

Tell the Dims to call back when they vote to stop the war, for real.

They are not getting a dime from me. They don't NEED it. They can always call Big Oil, Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, Big Military-Industrial Complex, Big Auto Makers, etc. You know. Their sugar daddies.

Suzy said...

I like when they call and say, "Well, Ms. Grindrod, as a Democrat ..." and I always stop them and say, "Who told you I'm a Democrat? My party affiliation is 'independent'" and generally because the caller is probably a college freshman, they're confused. It's kind of fun ... that's why Mr. Ether hangs around, just for the entertainment value. But joking aside, they really PISS ME OFF.