The incomparable Molly Ivins discusses Texas penal (or is it penile?) code. Sorry if this offends you. Blame it on Blue Gal.
7 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Really scary and also really funny, especially the punch line at the end. I lived for several years in Austin, and it bothered me that part of the rigamarol of the incoming governor's welcome was this: to underline a particularly meaningful passage in the State's official Bible stationed right on the governor's desk. During the tour I asked about separation of Church and State, and got a blank look as a reply.
P.S. I had forgotten to put your blog site on my favorites on my laptop and so have missed a lot. I'm in the process of catching up, this is a MOST interesing blog.
Proud to be a public school teacher for 26 years, I see teaching as a radical act. Practitioner of Neo-schoolmarmism. School Library Media Specialist. I am a convinced Quaker, born again agnostic, mother of 3 daughters, passionate about issues of peace and social justice. My mom was a "red diaper baby", my dad was a conscientious objector during WW2, and I grew up in the thick of anti-war protests in Madison, Wisconsin in the sixties. Not a Republican bone in my body and not many Democratic ones either.
7 comments:
Really scary and also really funny, especially the punch line at the end. I lived for several years in Austin, and it bothered me that part of the rigamarol of the incoming governor's welcome was this: to underline a particularly meaningful passage in the State's official Bible stationed right on the governor's desk. During the tour I asked about separation of Church and State, and got a blank look as a reply.
I'd forgotten your Austin sojourn. Is there anywhere you haven't lived?
Who was it said: "If I owned a house in Texas and a house in Hell, I'd rent out the one in Texas, and live in Hell"?
This reminds me of the 'Blue Laws' in MA. I agree with Caroline, scary and funny.
P.S. I had forgotten to put your blog site on my favorites on my laptop and so have missed a lot. I'm in the process of catching up, this is a MOST interesing blog.
Interesting, funny and pathetic all at the same time! :)
Peace,
~Chani
Good golly, how I miss Molly.
Post a Comment