Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Impeachment: It's Not Just For Blow Jobs



Back in 2003, former Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Bob Graham (D-FL) was one of 23 thoughtful senators voting against the Iraq war resolution. There is an interview with him at Think Progress today where he talks about impeachment. It's pretty good, but I disagree with this part:

Graham added that it’s unlikely Bush would be impeached, explaining that he learned the word impeachment is an “incendiary word” that Americans shy away from. “Americans don’t like impeachment because it connotes the kind of instability that so many other countries around the world have known.”


This makes me think, once again, that these people are a) out of touch and/or b)misinformed about American citizenry. It seems that the only ones shying away from impeachment are the members of Congress who somehow see it as a political liability. I'm good and sick of these cowards explaining (often in a condescending tone) why they don't think impeachment is a viable option. Perhaps they need to go back and read the Constitution. (I'd say reread, but I wonder how many of them have read it the first time.) And if Americans don't quite understand the purpose of impeachment, wouldn't it be the job of a lawmaker to educate his/her constituents?

1 comment:

poodledoc said...

Of late, I've been thinking that most members of Congress see themselves as Princes or Princesses. Why would they want to cause "instability" among their subjects? Let 'em complain while we "tuck in" for this fabulous lunch.......