
Tonight I accompanied Mr. Ether and friends Donna, Beth, and Crayons to a listening session with Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin. She holds these periodically throughout her district, although never in Madison. I wonder why. Perhaps she knows she'll get a big old earful from Madisonians, or perhaps she thinks we flap our lips enough already and the people in the outlying communities have fewer chances to flap their lips. Whatever. We drove to Middleton, recently rated #1 city to live in by Money Magazine, and home of the lovely and talented Jess Wundrun. I hoped Jess would be there, but alas, she was not.
I have to say that I appreciate that Tammy holds these sessions, and that they are very down to Earth and low key. There are no security checks, no formalities ... Mr. Ether even wore his Impeach Cheney baseball cap. This one was in the Senior Center.
The last listening session I went to I arrived at about 30 minutes before it was due to start and there were already many speakers registered in front of me. I almost had to leave to get back to work before it was my turn. Tonight we took precautions to arrive plenty early, and no one was there! No matter, we went across the street to the diner to wait.
There were many eloquent speakers, and most spoke out about the need to begin impeachment investigations. While she [belatedly] signed on to H.R. Resolution 333 to impeach Cheney, Tammy hemmed and hawed about how there is not enough support for it in Congress. The people present were having none of that. "You work for us!" "Beginning the investigation is the way to build support!" "Step up, Tammy!" and so on. I'd like to think that it was the listening sessions last spring that finally got her to sign onto Kucinich's resolution, so perhaps these sessions too will bear fruit.
Tammy plays it way too safe. I'm not sure if it is because of her position as one of the few openly gay members of Congress, or what. One gentleman, while commending her on her stance on human rights issues, took her to task for failing to see the human rights abuses in Palestine. I was disappointed in her response; predictably, she talked about the failure of Hamas to put a stop to suicide bombings. I was very proud of that speaker for saying, "Just keep in mind as you are considering this, that there is no symmetry there. One side has U.S. supplied weapons while the other side has rocks and improvised explosives." In my opinion, too many politicians, even those with whom I mostly agree, are way too deep in Israel's pockets.
I especially want to commend Beth (a.k.a. "Anonymous") for advocating for immigrants and commenting on NCLB. She even invoked Saint Alfie (Kohn, that is.) Very thoughtfully and articulately done, Beth.
And Mr. Ether, who was passionate, angry, and to the point. Congresswoman Baldwin needs to hear that.
Anyway, I'm glad I went. After a long day it was tempting to go all whiny about being tired and going out into the gray, damp November evening, but being there, I was reminded that we do still have a shred of Democracy left and we need to show up whenever possible.





10 comments:
Ah, thanks for calling me out and making me feel like a bum!
Rats. There's something going 'round the Wundrun house so we're moving fairly slowly.
Hopefully, they'll play parts on 94.1, as they sometimes do.
I'm proud of you kids for going. As my comment on Mr. Ether's blog says, my Congressman does not appear in front of any group that is not Republican.
Aw, Jess ... that's not what I meant. I just wanted to see you. Let's make another date soon.
I am jealous- when can I come to Wisconsin for cheese and conversation with Jess and Suzy???!!
On a more serious note, I am so inspired by reading this. It is astounding to me how all these so called Democrats that were voted in on certain premises have turned into a big bunch of whiny babies who are more interested in being polite rather than actually serve.
Serving requires courage and we must have stronger folks in DC. Now that I am getting more settled here in the farthest reaches of Smalbania (aka Albany NY) I must check out whatever Kirsten Gillibrand's version of this is.
It is really astounding how lame these folks are.
How is it the one thing consistently off the table is the one thing we need... impeachment?
Thanks Suzy and friends for going and speaking, even if Tammy's not the best listener.....
I hear what you're saying about Palestine. I just don't think Hamas deserves to be "David" next to Israel's "Goliath." I don't believe for a minute that the Palestinian militants are fighting a proxy war for the benefit of the other Arab states who have not exactly been all that sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, beyond that fact that they can use them to attack Israel. Those explosives being used to kill innocent civilians of all faiths in Israel aren't spontaneously combusting: they are buying them someplace. And killing people in buses and malls and pizza places is not the way to peace. it's just as wrong as using missiles and gunships. Lower tech but the result is the same: lots of dead people.
Yes, Israel is wrong, wrong, wrong in its treatment of the Palestinians. However, I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the cause - and I think many other like me would be, too - if the Palestinians would adopt the ways of Gandhi, King, and Mandela in their struggle, which in the long term might actually result in peace, and put down the gun and the bomb.
Why don't I see that happening? Because someone else is exploiting their plight, and exhorting them to kill, rather than to struggle non-violently? Or, are we supposed to believe that the only way an "Arab" knows how to settle an argument is to resort to violence?
Just asking. I honestly wish I knew.
That should say that "I don't believe for a minute that they are NOT fighting a proxy war..."
Time for bed.
Suzy, so glad you went. What really touched me was reading the Crayons link you have there about your friend. That you walk for her with her in your heart. I have a wheelchair bound friend, and I'm going to talk to her about this and send her a link to that post. Thank you.
I just want to clarify that Tammy Baldwin, while frustrating, is probably one of the most progressive members of the House and usually does the right thing. It just takes her a while to stick her neck out. She's been around for a while now and is slowly building a name for herself. I will continue to vote for her, and won't even have to hold my nose to do it.
QD, I have little respect for Hamas, although we must remember that they were democratically elected, unlike our leadership. Yes, I wish that there was a larger nonviolent Palestinian movement. There is little justification for the violence that takes the lives of innocent people.
Jan, I'm glad you found Crayons. She's one of my friends from long long ago.
Franiam -- anytime, come on out for a visit.
You bet Suzy- you did once tell me that you all read at the table, so I know it is my kind of house!
Post a Comment