
Last night the Ether/Geranium/Sea Cow family spent a boatload of money to go and see Cirque du Soleil perform Saltimbanco. When our kids were little, we checked the Saltimbanco video out of the library a lot. Cinderbelle and Sparkly Sea Cow especially liked the part where the people bounced around on giant bungee cords. It was pretty cool.
We went to see them in Chicago a few years ago, but we got stuck in traffic and missed about a third of the show. I hate driving to Chicago. Still, it was an impressive show. It was in the circus tent, so everything was close, with the trapezes swinging right overhead.
Last night's show was in a large arena, and somehow, it lost some of its magic for me. The music, while well-executed, seemed kind of hackneyed. The whole thing felt just a little too packaged. (Especially knowing that they have permanent set-ups in Las Vegas and Orlando.)
Still, I had fun. The spectacle of the costumes, combined with the physical feats of strength and coordination, took my breath away at times.





5 comments:
I marvel at the athletic things they do in their shows. To me they are real athletes unlike the people in the NFL, MLB, and the hopped up on steroids track stars.
I agree. I wonder about their backgrounds. How does one get to be a trapeze artist, for example? Are they a part of a family that has practiced their craft for multiple generations, like the Flying Wallendas?
One of the bungee jumpers was just reinstated for this show after serving a six month suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy - too much chocolate cake, I think. And one of the trapese women is currently under threat of supension with possible permanent dismissal and jail time after having been accused of participating in a guinea pig fighting ring. And the guy in the goofy shorts and cap is in trouble after an internet sting operation caught him pretending he was 14 years-old in a chat room and enticing minors to perform pantomime.
Hi Luminiferous,
What a great outing. I saw them once about 15 years ago. It was pure magic. They were still fresh, and there was such an element of surprise and awe.
I agree with the doctor. I'd like to see one of the professional football players shimmy up a rope.
Ed, you could write for the Onion while you seek employment.
Oy Ed. You're funny!
As I was telling a friend about the show, it suddenly popped into my head that one of our kids -- probably Sparkly Sea Cow -- always called it "Circus Olé", which is a pretty good interpretation of it, I think.
Post a Comment