Sunday, November 11, 2007

House Concert

A nice trend around here is the blossoming of house concerts. I've been to a few, but tonight was a first -- a firehouse concert. I went to hear Mary McCaslin, a favorite of mine from waaaay back in the seventies. Unfortunately, there were about a million other musical events happening around town and it was in a temporary firehouse way out on the outskirts of town on the edge of what was once cornfields not so long ago, so it wasn't really well attended. It was a little surreal too, to see the CPR training dummies stacked like logs off to the side of the room. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

3 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I'm not really sure what a house concert is, I'm assuming it's a smaller venue?! I much prefer that myself although the artist may not.

I saw Sarah McLaughlan at a Sam the Record Man once, it was an impulsive little concert with just her, her guitar in her Birkenstocks. It is one of my favourite memories.

Excellent points on domestic tools, that we are trained not to think of them that way. But they are! I'm loving my bowls, LOL. No, they aren't fancy but I love that they have an anchor! My husband (navy guy) will also love it.

Suzy said...

Suzie, a house concert is just that: a concert at someone's house. The host provides space, food, and usually some kind of sound system, and charges an admission price. It's cool. I'd love to do it at our house, but it's kind of small.

Enjoy your bowls! I'd like new mixing bowls too, but the ones I have were a gift from my mom so I have a sentimental attachment to them. What I really need are some new pots -- enameled cast iron is what I have my eye on.

QuakerDave said...

It's nice to see she's still around making music. I saw her years ago out at the U of P (Penn to y'all) and she was terrific.

Liberal Son and I saw the Derek Trucks Band channel John Coltrane, amongst others, last week. A slice of heaven on earth, that was.