Monday, November 26, 2007

Twenty Minutes Into the Future


One of the best t.v. programs ever, in my opinion, was Max Headroom, a series that aired very briefly in the mid-eighties. (Are you surprised to hear me saying that I actually liked a t.v. program? For your information, I was also an avid fan of Captain Kangaroo and Pee Wee's Playhouse.) Anyway, Max Headroom was set in a seemingly post-Apocalyptic time, where the world is essentially run by television networks. It always opened with the line "20 minutes into the future ...".

It has been eerie over the past 7 years, to see how much of Max Headroom has come to pass. One episode I recall featured a beautiful televangelist and a scheme to bilk grieving relatives out of their money by making videos of their deceased loved ones, which could speak to them from beyond the grave. Well, this morning I read this.

Weird.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just plain old odd. I remember Max but what I remember most about it was having a wicked crush on Amanda Pays. Then she went and screwed it up for me by marrying Corbin Bernson. I'll never forgive her!

Suzy said...

You and Mr. Ether, both. I wonder if they're still married ...

Ed said...

There are no secrets when you're married to a blogger...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Max was pretty cool.

But that solar-powered tombstone thingie is uncool on so many levels...

-TCR

Suzy said...

I even find photographs on tombstones to be a little creepy.

Jan said...

That is pretty weird.

Suzie Ridler said...

OK, that is so freaky! Shudder.

I used to love this show too, I've always liked the actor and there was something truly magnetic about this particular character.

Sminthia said...

Matt Frewer was so sexy, except when he was morphed into Max.

I remember the series as being very subversive, much like Dinosaurs ("Not the Mommy!")

Sminthia said...

Is it as good as you remember? Watch it again.

http://video.aol.com/video-category/max-headroom/103273

Suzy said...

Ooh .. you found it? I'll have to watch ...

I remember it being very subversive too. Edgy, I guess you might say in current jargon.

Pee Wee's Playhouse was subversive too. I think that's why he was set up.