Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Life As A Dog ...


... or Stop Me, Before I Volunteer Again!

My school held its annual Scholastic Book Fair this week. Tonight was family night at the book fair. I love my school, so I always try to volunteer to help out with events. What was needed tonight was someone to dress up in a Clifford the Big Red Dog costume and walk around, entertaining children and thus inspiring parents to buy more books.

I'll just say that I am not a fan of Clifford the Big Red Dog. He's right down there with The Berenstain Bears on my children's book-o-meter. But it was actually a blast to dress up in such a way that no one recognized me. I got lots of hugs. Middle school-aged siblings were embarrassed by me. One kindergartner, whom I know quite well, took a shine to me and sat me down to read me a book, all the while barking out commands: "Sit!" "Sit criss cross apple sauce!" (I haven't tried that one out on my own dog yet.) "Stand up!" Shake!" And a younger sibling of a former student, who always looks at me like I am crazy and in possession of a chain saw, followed me around giving me hugs.

I made a toddler cry in terror. That made me feel bad, because my own kids hate-hate-hated those characters. I kept trying to avoid this little kid, but the space was small, and even though I was thinking, "Be inconspicuous!" and shrinking down inside of the suit, there is no way that a 5'1'' bright red dog can be inconspicuous. I tucked my tail between my legs and slunk off, ashamed.

A couple of the parents knew it was me, and I cannot imagine how. It wasn't as if I was saying anything. They probably knew that no one -- absolutely no one -- but me would do something like that.

After an hour, I was sweltering and I had a persistent itch on my nose -- my real nose -- that I had to scratch, so I ducked into a nearby classroom to turn back into mild mannered kindergarten teacher, Ms. Ether.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The things you do for kids! Way to go Ms. Ether.

Ed said...

I hope someone was taking pictures.

poodledoc said...

Yes, creatures such Clifford would terrigy Poodledoc, Jr. I recall waiting to see the Cat in the Hat appear, on a really sweltering day, and overheard the person in the suit, with his head in his hands, using very un-Dr. Seuss language.

And then there was the mean, crabby clown who terrified my son, then laughed at him. Thanks, clown.

But I agree with Ed, I want pictures!

Suzy said...

I'm afraid that no pictures were taken. Such a tragedy. I was confronted by a fifth grader in the hallway today, can you imagine, ACCUSING me of being Clifford. Kids these days ... they just have NO respect for teachers.

A few years ago there was a tell-all book about working in The Magic Kingdom that I really wanted to read. It talked about how people barfed in their costumes all the time, how characters had to be tied onto the floats so that when they passed out from the heat, they wouldn't slump or fall off ... I can tell you, those things were very much on my mind last night.

Jess Wundrun said...

Oh the places you go
You freakin' little so and so
And yertl in the bumblegrass
Just long enough to kiss my ass...


Is that kindof how it sounded, poodledoc?

Suzy said...

Sacrilege!

Unknown said...

I am the husband of a school librarian, and I have yearned for years to be Clifford the Big Red Dog at the annual Book Fair. This is my first year in retirement, and my wish is being granted next week! Yay!

Thanks for the report!

Suzy said...

Thomas -- Congratulations on your ascension to the much coveted Clifford role, and one word of advice -- the tail goes in the back!

Unknown said...

OMG! I tried it on today! HOT! CAN'T BREATHE! YOW!!!! I can see why they say don't go longer than 10 minutes. My first appearance will be tomorrow before three 3-year-olds; I may scare them to death, if I don't collapse first,

Unknown said...

OMG! I tried it on today! HOT! CAN'T BREATHE! YOW!!!! I can see why they say don't go longer than 10 minutes. My first appearance will be tomorrow before three 3-year-olds; I may scare them to death, if I don't collapse first,