Sunday, November 04, 2007

Dias de los Muertos and a wish for peace

Display and photo by Friend, Lester Doré. He says, "Day of the Dead altar at Casa Doré-Hanner. The red poster lists the names of all confirmed US military deaths from the beginning of the Iraq War to September 4 2007; the black poster has on it thumbnail-size photos of all confirmed military deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan since the last Day of the Dead. That's pan de muerto on the plate."

I find this very moving.

Lester is an artist who creates posters that celebrate peace, peacemakers, and those who speak truth to power. You can see the full array here.

3 comments:

Fran said...

Just that one photo is very remarkable. Wow.

Thanks Suzy. Let me go check out the linkage.

Suzy said...

Great! I'm glad you liked it. Lester does amazing things. Lately he has been writing songs that are just inspired. He'll stand up at the end of Meeting, having jotted one down during worship, and sing it for us. I wish I had thought of doing some kind of Days of the Dead display.Maybe for Xmas. I'm thinking of "Peace On Earth -- It's Not Just For Christmas Cards."

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love it--art inspired by love and justice. Wow.