Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


I am grateful to have a few hours to myself -- just me and the dogs (and the cats and guinea pigs) -- to play guitar and get a little sewing done for the Peace Market I've organized in a couple of weeks. Everyone else has gone over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house to watch the Packer game. I'll take any level of Hell that Dante can dish up over that, any day! I'll be joining them after the game, for dinner.

I tend not to spend this day taking inventory of all the things, people, etc. for which I am thankful. Neither do I make my students engage in that time-worn exercise of writing "I am thankful for ...". I try to live every day in a measure of gratitude, and I hope that I model the same for the children in my life.

Nevertheless, I hope that all of you are enjoying the loving company of family and/or friends today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you my dear, you are one of my favorite Quakers ever.

Jan said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Suzy, to you and your family. I always like to read your thoughts.

Jess Wundrun said...

Suzy, I have to tell you, my first grader came home yesterday and told me that they were supposed to write what they were thankful for.

She said 'everything'.

I said 'everything'? Like are your thankful for roadkill and spelling tests?

She said 'no, everything was just easier to spell than what I was really thinking'.

Love, from the Wundruns.

Suzy said...

Jess, I LOVE your first grader!

Roadkill IS something to be thankful for, because it feeds crows and buzzards. Spelling tests ... enh.

But what was she really thinking?

I went on the Cowboy Eddie show when I was about 7, and sold my soul to try to win the free McDonalds' milkshake. The question of the day was, "Who is most important in your life?" and I answered, "God [despite the fact that we were atheists,] my parents, and the president [LBJ.] They saw through my pathetic attempts to brown nose and gave it to some other kid, probably the one who answered, "Start Barr."

Are you and Ben going out to hear The Motor Primitives tomorrow night at the Harmony? It's a no cover show ...

Suzie Ridler said...

Happy Thanksgiving Suzy!