Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Blogger Album Project

DCup is a clearinghouse for all the good memes. I happily jumped onboard this one. And then I didn't post it. And then Quaker Dave did it too. So I was re-inspired.

THE RULES:

1. Post your list of the seven best albums, the seven bloggers you will tag, a copy of these rules ...
2. Each person tagged will put a URL to their Blogger Album Project post along with a list of the seven best albums in the comment section HERE.
3. Feel free to post the “I Contributed to the Blogger Album Project” Award Graphic on your sidebar, along with a link back to this page.
4. Post a link back to the blogger who tagged you.

Seven albums? It's really hard to think of just seven, and then an album that was incredibly important at one time in my life suddenly seems embarrassingly ditzy from where I stand now. (Like the Bobby Sherman album I bought in 6th grade and listened to over and over and over and ...) I think what I am going to do is work backwards chronologically until I've got seven, and hopefully I won't get to anything truly mortifying.

Eliza Gilkyson; Paradise Hotel
The Pretenders; Isle of View
Kirsty MacColl; Kite
Johnny Clegg & Savuka; Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World
Johnny Clegg & Savuka; Shadow Man
Peter Gabriel; So
John Prine; Bruised Orange

Of course there were others, albums and songs. I love the Beatles, but I could never just choose one Beatles album. When Mr. Ether and I were first going out I listened to Roxy Music's Avalon a lot. I went through a Ladies of the Canyon phase, a Jethro Tull Songs from the Wood phase, a Neil Young Comes A Time phase and a Bruce Springsteen The River phase. For a brief period I lost my heart to Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and Lena Lovitch. In later years I was pretty into Tom Waits' Raindogs and John Prine's Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings. Recently I've been excited by John Gorka and Steve Earle. Townes Van Zandt is a perennial favorite. The Bonzo Dog Band ... and ... and ... (now I'm hyperventilating. I think I'll stop.)

I don't like tagging, so do it if you feel moved to do so.


No comments: