I am pleased to say I shop locally at Ace Hardware on Willy Street. It's a little more expensive, but I can find almost anything I need there including clear Contact Paper and Velcro (essential teacher tools) for sale by the yard. They give me mis-cut keys to use for counting (kids love keys), they have a store dog, and the last time I was there one of the owners told me that he went to elementary school where I teach now. Many years ago.Why would I give my business to Home Depot, especially given this?
Remember, every dollar you spend is a vote.This is what Home Depot's founder Bernie Marcus said on a conference call yesterday:
"If a retailer has not gotten involved with this, if he has not spent money on this election, if he has not sent money to Norm Coleman and these other guys," Mr. Marcus said, apparently referring to Republican senators facing tough re-election fights, then those retailers "should be shot; should be thrown out of their goddamn jobs."
It's nice to know Home Depot supports the death penalty for not supporting their politics. The coming EFCA fight is going to be bloody.
Read the whole story here.





10 comments:
I don't shop there either.
And, at Ace on Willy, the people who work there will explain what you need to do, how you need to do it and what you need to buy to do it, and be happy to sell you just one screw, nail, bolt, washer, whatever, to help you to do what you need to do. Take that, Home Despot!
The fact that you shop at your local hardware store and builder's supply would make the members of the association I work for very happy. Sadly, they are just as anti-union as the big box guys. Though that may be a regional thing - the south is notoriously anti-union.
I haven't inquired as to the union beliefs of our store's owners (though we are a pretty union-friendly town.) But it is unbelievable that this guy would call for SHOOTING anyone who doesn't agree with his political views.
Suzy - you are so right about Marcus' statement. It's stupid and wrong. It's not even appropriate as hyperbole. The strong anti-labor sentiment that I encounter here definitely gives me pause. I'm privy to emails that fly between the yard owners. They have plans to fire people who voted for Obama if they have to make cuts. Some have sent out threatening emails to their staff telling them that if their taxes are raised, they will be shutting down and firing everyone. Crazy stuff.
I get the picture just reading what I read and I am ashamed of them for them.. I dont shop at Home Depot anyway but we have gotten a few things from there but try to avoid it at all costs..
I love that store! It smells like hardware.
(My dad had a small hardware store when I was a kid-I get all nostalgic for old stores with hardwood floors and thirty year old dusty crap still on the shelves)
Well darn. I thought the colors on their shirts were orange and black, not brown.
I never shop at our local Home Depot because 1) I can never find what I want there, 2) the store is always a mess, 3) the help is clueless, and oh, 4) THEY'RE NOT UNION.
We have a local Ace, too, owned by a local guy. I go there. He sharpens tools for less than five bucks, too.
What is most distressing is the unbeLIEVABLE level of lying that's going on in the Corporate Media about this legislation. Sean Hannity in particular has absolutely NO friggin' clue as to what this bill is really all about, but when did truth ever get in the way of a rabid rant by that guy?
Bloody it shall be, yes. We do, howeverm, have right on our side.
I'd be willing to bet that Sean Hannity has union labor in his background. The fact is that all wealth in this country is made on the backs of workers and all rights that workers enjoy (including workers in television like Sean Hannity) were won by unions.
Post a Comment