Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Food for Thought


I found this article on AlterNet:
Today's global financial cloud got you feeling gray? Vermonter Jim Merkel sees a silver lining.

Back in 1989, the Long Island native was a weapons engineer who helped design a cutting-edge computer that could transmit military secrets, survive a nuclear blast and, a decade before the dawn of the BlackBerry, fit in the palm of his hand. Sitting at a hotel bar in Stockholm, Sweden, he was drinking in his accomplishment when a bulletin flashed on television. (Read the rest here.)

In the article I posted yesterday, someone was quoted as saying "There is no silver lining." There is a disaster mindset that we are in -- that the "experts" and the media are urging us to be in. They want us to scream, "The sky is falling" and hurry to demand bail-outs for our favorite banks and corporations. I quite agree with the gentleman in this article that we are being handed a gift, in a way. A chance to quit our unsustainable ways and find a different way to live. A couple of years ago I was saying that perhaps an economic depression would be a good thing in the long run, forcing a return to different values.

I don't mean to sound glib. DCup has a poignant post about her family's economic struggles, and with Mr. Ether in year 2 of unemployment, we are skating on thin ice ourselves. Yet there is something liberating about "simplifying." (I put that into quotation marks, because "simplification" has become a consumer commodity in and of itself. "How can I simplify if I don't subscribe to Real Simple?" she asks, gnawing on her hemp sweater.)

So yesterday I was despondent. Today I have a measure of hope that we will be OK. And you will too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking me! It's not so hard to find a silver lining in all this. I agree - we were on an unsustainable path. I'm glad and relieved, frankly, for the redirection.

Me, too, I'm hopeful! Sounds kind of crazy, but it's true.

Fran said...

I love what you have to say about this and that article was fascinating.

As you know I have been unemployed for awhile but I just got a job and will start in December. That said - it is a very low paying job.

This past year has been a huge turn towards the most simple and that has been the gift around here.

As for hope, I am in generally ridiculously hopeful. Not in a Pollyanna-ish way, I don't think so anyway. It is just part of how I choose to live.

That makes it sound glib and too simple, but it is a learned behavior and a choice. Maybe it comes from gratitude- which can best grow out of simplicity.

Something to really ponder here... thank you my friend.