Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Going to the Zoo Zoo Zoo

Do you ever have a hankering to ... just hang out with otters? I did today. After reading a book to my students, where there was an otter on one page, I had otters on my mind all day. The weather was sunny and a mild 45˚, so after school I left at my contract time, grabbed my family, and we went to the zoo.

I know that there are people who strongly dislike zoos, and for legitimate reasons. I understand that, and ... I still love to go to our little zoo. It was my stomping ground when I was but a wee lass. We lived a block away from it; I could hear lions roar from my bedroom at night -- I was always scared one would escape -- and the peacocks shrieked all the time. And in that wonderful age when parents set their kids loose and didn't pay attention to where they went, I usually headed to the zoo. Security was amazingly lax in those days; I spent many "after hours" hours there, and had a few harrowing experiences. But I digress.

Our zoo costs nothing to enter; that is actually stipulated in the original charter from when the land was donated to the city. That means that it is no big deal to go even an hour before closing time if, say, someone has a strong urge to see the otters. We spent a lot of time there when our kids were little. There was a blessed period of time when Mr. Ether worked part-time and took care of our youngest, when they went to the zoo often enough to be on intimate terms with the lemurs. But I digress ... again.

We went to the zoo. Sparkly Sea Cow persisted in being as sarcastic as only a twelve-going-on-thirteen-year-old can be -- a far cry from the cute little girl who always wanted to shake keys at lemurs, but I think she had a good time. As we watched the otters in their underwater viewing tank, I felt the tensions of the day (week, month) drain away. I tried to take their picture, but the little buggers wouldn't hold still. They'd swim right up to the glass, run up it, and do a back flip away in a swirl of little bubbles. Again and again. I never get tired of watching them.

What else did we see?

Harbor seals.
Polar bears. The one in the cage looked cute and cuddly, but looking at the size of that one standing up, I was mindful of the fact that children in Churchill, Manitoba do not go trick-or-treating on Halloween. Apparently polar bears do.



Flaming O's.
I didn't get pictures, but we also saw the wallaby, alpacas, camel butts, goats, one wild turkey (who, on the day before Thanksgiving, should have been thanking its lucky star that it lives in the zoo -- and nowhere near Wasilla, AK,) a meerkat, and a red panda.

And Mr. Ether embarrassed Sparkly by having his picture taken, not once, but twice. He looks a little like the soon to be ex-"President", don't you think?

It was fun to do something so spontaneous.

10 comments:

Ed said...

I love those otters. They're like cats that like to swim. The polar bears really wanted to eat us, I think. "I smell hors d'oeuvres! Bite-sized humans!" It was a good idea of yours to get out to the zoo today.

Suzy said...

I really wanted to pet the timber wolf.

Fran said...

Spontaneous zoo visits! Heaven on earth.

Zoos are complicated, but in the end, I am reminded of the higher angels of zoos and how they work to help and protect animals. I am reminded of someplace like the San Diego Zoo that goes to great lengths to create habitats that are as natural as possible for the occupants.

When I was first out of college and working in what was to be the first of jobs I truly hated I used to get my cranky ass up from my desk at lunchtime and walk to the Central Park Zoo.

It was there that I would watch the sea otters lolling about on the rocks or in the water and I would feel so much better.

And Ed does look suspiciously like a certain man we know. (shudders) I know they are NOTHING a like alike!

Unknown said...

Ha! What a great post! I always feel like going to the zoo after I read Edward The Emu to my students!

I feel very much as you do about zoos. They're a mixed bag; just like the circus. I personally adore them but that is probably being very selfish.

We don't have any real zoos around here. There is one in eastern Mass and the kids have been there but I haven't. We have a couple of funky little petting zoos with farm animals.

Yesterday when we went to pick up our turkey at the local turkey farm, all of the turkeys were gone, of course. But WP and I petted the ponies and looked at the goats they have there.

I was kind of wishing we had kids with us but they were doing their own thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Suzy.

Suzy said...

Fran -- I have a good friend (Molly's former owner, in fact) who was a vet at the San Diego Zoo. Sadly, she wasn't impressed with it. But she really doesn't like zoos, and especially not circuses.

Pagan -- The power of books, right? I like petting farms too.

Thanks for the good wishes, and a Happy Thanksgiving right back to all of you. Hope you didn't have to resort to a Butterball fat injected turkey.

Suzy said...

BTW, Fran -- Did you see any gay penguins at the Central Park Zoo? (That's a literary reference; one of the most banned books of the last coupe of years is And Tango Makes Three about a pair of male penguins in the Central Park Zoo, who raised a chick together.It rocks the very foundations of the American family!! Just the thought of it makes me want my teenaged daughter to get pregnant out of wedlock!)

Anonymous said...

I dig zoos.

Fran said...

Suzy - clearly you do not love America!

No, I did not see any gay penguins to my knowledge. Then again, it being NY, they might have just blended in.

Fran said...

Look at the very next post that I visited... Click here!

Suzy said...

Fran, the Gods really do work in mysterious ways. That is hilarious.