Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Thoughts before bed ...

I had a moment of misgiving at around 6:00 tonight when the doorbell rang and it was an Obama canvasser, still trying to get out the vote. I expressed surprise, and she said that down at Obama headquarters they had just gotten a call that Wisconsin was going to be very close so every vote counted. Shit! I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. Now, of course, we know the real results.

I was just talking to my good friend who stopped by Obama headquarters at about that time and was begged, nay, implored to go canvassing in the neighborhood surrounding the HQ. Her comment? "There were like, 3 Obama signs on every lawn in that neighborhood! What more did they want? Did they think those people hadn't voted??"

I guess that they were leaving nothing to chance, but I wonder if that was a national strategy or just a local decision? I don't think there was ever any question about Obama taking this hotbed of liberal activism!

Barack Obama's speech -- and the manner in which he delivered it -- was stunning. John McCain's speech was delivered with grace and humility.

Sarah Palin and "First Dude" looked pissed off. Mr. Ether and I speculated about whether, in true Sarah Palin fashion, tomorrow she would state unequivocally "John McCain and I, we won yesterday's election."

But I have no further snarky comments. It is a night for graciousness and a return to decency. There's been enough muck in the last 8 years.

Good night.

8 comments:

Fran said...

I agree with you about graciousness and dignity, but I will say that I thought Sarah and Todd both looked just like you said.

I think we will be seeing a lot of her, and that is all I will say about that.

Let peace reign.

poodledoc said...

Both speeches were powerful. I just soaked up the moments. I believe McCain understood the moment to some degree. I do not imagine that Sara Palin really "got it". I heard that if Ted Stevens wins his Senate seat back (extremely close at the moment) he will have to step down and would be replaced by.....Sara Palin. But I'm just trying to stay in the moment, for a little while longer.....

Suzy said...

Fran and PoodleDoc, I wonder if Sarah Palin is history, given the stuff that is surfacing today.

poodledoc said...

What stuff? Please tell!

Suzy said...

McCain's staffers are spilling the beans, dumping the dirt on Palin, and it's not pretty. (Kind of gossipy, but fun.) It will be in Newsweek.

Jess Wundrun said...

Suzy, I was one of those people working the phones at the last minute at Obama HQ. I also canvassed the neighborhood you are talking about. I do think that the Wisconsin Obama campaign didn't allocate its resources very well. F'rinstance, we were told that in Milwaukee they did not have enough volunteers to drive people who needed a ride to the polls. We were told that at 4 pm and I said, hell, I'd drive to Milwaukee and help. Notes to remember for four years from now.

That said, we were working on the assumption that the rest of the state was going to vote as red as it has in the past. Dane County, Milwaukee County and to some extent, La Crosse have to carry the rest of the state, so our Get Out the Vote efforts here are very important. Wednesday morning I was shocked - and thrilled - by how blue the county voting map had turned. I still can't figure out Paul Ryan's district and Sensennbrenner's district and how very red they are.

Jess Wundrun said...

Oh, I should have said I did not canvas that neighborhood on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

I found myself daydreaming for a bit about what it would be like to live around other liberals in quantity. Ahhhhh.